As a bicycle touring enthusiast, I have always been fascinated by the beauty of Vermont. The Northeast Kingdom, in particular, is a hidden gem for cyclists looking for adventure and relaxation. With hundreds of miles of bike paths and trails, Vermont offers a wide range of cycling experiences that cater to all levels of riders.
In this article, I'll take you on a journey through the beauty of Vermont bicycle touring in the Northeast Kingdom, the best gravel biking and road biking routes, and share tips for a successful bike tour.
This article may contain affiliate links, please read our Affiliate Disclosure for more details.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Vermont Bicycle Touring in the Northeast Kingdom
- The Beauty of Vermont Bike Paths and Trails
- Gravel Biking in Vermont: The Best Gravel Biking Routes in the Northeast Kingdom
- Road Biking in Vermont: The Best Road Biking Routes in the Northeast Kingdom
- Vermont Biking: A Perfect Blend of Adventure and Relaxation
- Bike Touring in Vermont: Exploring the State's Hidden Gems on Two Wheels
- Vermont Cycling: Tips for a Successful Bike Tour
- Vermont Bicycle Touring Services and Rentals
- Conclusion: Why Vermont is a Must-Visit Destination for Bicycle Touring Enthusiasts
Introduction to Vermont Bicycle Touring in the Northeast Kingdom
The Northeast Kingdom is a region in the northeastern part of Vermont that comprises three counties: Caledonia, Essex, and Orleans. It is known for its picturesque landscapes, quaint towns, and charming villages.
It is also a haven for outdoor enthusiasts, especially cyclists. Vermont bicycle touring in the Northeast Kingdom offers a unique experience that combines adventure and relaxation.
You can cycle through rolling hills, past vast farmlands, and along the shores of pristine lakes. The region's bike-friendly roads and trails make it a perfect destination for cyclists of all levels.
The Beauty of Vermont Bike Paths and Trails
Vermont has a vast network of bike paths and trails that offer stunning views of the state's natural beauty. The Lamoille Valley Rail Trail is a 93-mile trail that runs from St. Johnsbury to Swanton. It is a flat and easy trail that takes you through charming towns, farms, and forests.
The Island Line Trail is another popular trail that runs along the shores of Lake Champlain. Although only 14 miles in all, it offers stunning views of the lake and the Adirondack Mountains.
The Kingdom Trails is a network of around 100 miles of mountain biking trails that cater to all levels of riders. It is known for its diverse terrain, including smooth flowy trails, technical descents, and challenging climbs.
The trails wind through the region's lush forests and rolling hills, offering breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
Gravel Biking in Vermont: The Best Gravel Biking Routes in the Northeast Kingdom
Gravel biking is gaining popularity among cyclists as it offers a unique experience that combines road biking and mountain biking. Vermont is a paradise for gravel bikers with its vast network of dirt roads and scenic routes. The Northeast Kingdom has some of the best gravel biking routes in the state.
The Darling Hill Loop is a 13-mile gravel biking route that takes you through the Kingdom Trails network. It offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The Burke Mountain Loop is another popular route that takes you through the Burke Mountain Resort and the Kingdom Trails.
Road Biking in Vermont: The Best Road Biking Routes in the Northeast Kingdom
Vermont has some of the best road biking routes in the country, thanks to its well-maintained roads and scenic routes. The Northeast Kingdom offers a wide range of road biking routes that cater to all levels of riders.
The Northeast Kingdom Loop is a 90-mile road biking route that takes you through the region's scenic countryside. It includes rolling hills, farmlands, and quaint towns. The Newport to Derby Line Loop is another popular route that takes you along the shores of Lake Memphremagog.
Vermont Biking: A Perfect Blend of Adventure and Relaxation
Vermont bicycle touring in the Northeast Kingdom offers a perfect blend of adventure and relaxation. You can spend your days exploring the region's scenic routes and trails, and your evenings relaxing in charming bed and breakfasts or cozy cabins.
The region's quaint towns and villages offer a glimpse into Vermont's rich history and culture. You can also indulge in the state's famous farm-to-table cuisine and craft beer.
Bike Touring in Vermont: Exploring the State's Hidden Gems on Two Wheels
Bike touring in Vermont is a unique way to explore the state's hidden gems. You can choose from a wide range of bike tours that cater to all levels of riders. Bike Vermont Tours is a popular bike touring company that offers guided tours of the state's scenic routes and trails. They offer tours that range from one day to a week-long adventure.
Vermont Cycling: Tips for a Successful Bike Tour
Cycling in Vermont can be challenging, especially for those who are not used to the state's hilly terrain. However, with proper planning and preparation, you can have a successful bike tour. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your Vermont bicycle touring adventure:
- Choose the right bike: Make sure you have a bike that is suitable for the terrain you will be cycling on. This might mean an Ebike if you're not a fan of the hills.
- Pack appropriately: Bring appropriate clothing, including layers for changing weather conditions. Vermont is known for highs, lows and rain and shine.
- Stay hydrated: Make sure to carry enough water and drink regularly. Even in cooler weather, if you're layering, you can loose water fast, so keep replenished.
- Fuel up: Bring snacks and energy bars to keep you fueled during your ride. This is particularly important in the colder months, when you burn extra calories to keep warm!
- Plan your route: Plan your route ahead of time and bring a map or GPS device. This is the only way to make sure you make the most of your precious vacation time and have a great experience.
Vermont Bicycle Touring Services and Rentals
If you don't have your own bike, don't worry. There are plenty of bike rental services in Vermont. Kingdom Trails Association offers bike rentals and guided tours of the Kingdom Trails network.
East Burke Sports offers bike rentals and guided tours of the Burke Mountain Resort and the Kingdom Trails. If you're looking for a more customized bike tour, Vermont Bicycle Tours offers personalized tours that cater to your interests and fitness level.
- East Burke Sports - Offers high-quality mountain bike rentals and guided tours. Link
- Village Sport Shop - Provides a wide range of bike rentals, including road, mountain, and electric bikes. Link
- Littleton Bike & Fitness - Offers top-notch bikes for rent, including high-performance road and mountain bikes. Link
- Unspoken Bike Shop - Offers a variety of mountain bike rentals and sales, along with repair services. Link
- White Mountain Bike Shop - Provides high-quality bike rentals and guided tours for all skill levels. Link
- Local Motion - A bike-advocacy nonprofit that rents a variety of wheels from its location on the Lake Champlain waterfront. Link 1 Link 2
Know of other places I should add to the list? Just drop a line in the comments below!
Conclusion: Why Vermont is a Must-Visit Destination for Bicycle Touring Enthusiasts
Vermont bicycle touring in the Northeast Kingdom is a unique experience that combines adventure and relaxation. With hundreds of miles of bike paths and trails, the region offers something for every type of cyclist. Whether you're looking for gravel biking, road biking, or bike touring, Vermont has it all.
With its picturesque landscapes, charming towns, fall foliage and delicious farm-to-table cuisine, Vermont is a must-visit destination for bicycle touring enthusiasts. So, pack your bags, grab your bike, and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in the Northeast Kingdom!